CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 4, 2008

What is a Refugee?

Basically a refugee is someone who is forced to leave their country because it is not safe for them to stay there. Refugees have little/no choice of country or city of resettlement. To learn more about refugee's in our country, research the U.S. Refugee Resettlement Program Act of 1980.

From what I know about the Sayou family, most of the children were raised in camps in a neighboring country to Liberia, Africa.

I've heard Rita and Ante (Rita's real big sister) talk about waiting for their names to appear on a list...I assume that list was a list of acceptance from the UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees). Ante has written a paper for school about her move here to America and I'd like to post that someday when I get it. I just think it's so interesting to learn about other people's experiences.

I feel so blessed to live in a country where I am am safe. I can't imagine going through what these "little wonders" as I like to call them, have gone through...

0 comments: